MY FAVE WITCHY READS

Monday 7 October 2019


Since spoopy spooky season is upon us, I thought I'd share my favourite witchy reads! Usually you will find my nose in the book of a good thriller, a YA novel or lately, a memoir. But one thing I do love is Fantasy and Magic books. I love many fictions that have adventures about witches and supernatural beings and I can't wait to find the next novel full of magic and mystery.

I hope you find a magical new book for you to cosy up to and wish you could be a part of like me. Here are a few of my fave witchy reads.


WICCA by Cate Tiernan
The first and most fave series of my childhood was Wicca (Also known as Sweep) I mention about it in this post . Like I said in that post, I was obsessed with these books as a teenager. The characters Hunter and Morgan were my very first book ship. Basically for fourteen books it follows Morgan and her journey into Witchcraft. It has that typical love triangle, bitchy friends tropes etc But it's addictive to read and knowing a little bit about Wicca in real life, aside from the added Supernatural elements to these books, the author studied Wicca quite well and you can see how this would make someone curious about Wicca/White Magick too. I spent some time researching if it was real after reading these books and that kids, is how I got into Wicca IRL. Anyhoo, Morgans life changes with the arrival of new boy - Cal, who is a Wiccan. Morgan and her friends become interested in the beliefs surrounding Wicca but has to keep it a secret from her family because they are Catholic and attend Church every Sunday. Morgan discovers she has power and Cal helps tap into that magical power inside of her. It's such a guilty pleasure book as they are easy written and Tiernan stretches these books out but are short and it's decently written. These books are just fun. And they were my childhood fun. Although I am missing a few books from my collection. Hmmm.

PRACTICAL MAGIC by Alice Hoffman
I would watch Practical Magic the film religiously during my teen years and still do now around Halloween. Back then I had no idea it was a book and obviously I went and bought it and its probably one of my fave books currently in my bookcase. Practical Magic follows The Owen Sisters - Gillian and Sally. For more than two hundred years the Owens women have been blamed for everything that goes wrong in their town of Massachusetts, they were forever outsiders and taunted by the other children. Living with their elderly aunts after their parents die, all they've wanted is to escape there lives. One marries and the other runs away but their magical bond will bring them back. I just LOVE this story. MIDNIGHT MARGARITAS anyone? The book is different to the movie in quite a few ways. Jimmy's plot is the same but this doesn't bother me because the essence is still there. The bond of the Owen Sisters is what the movie and the book are all about. Magical Moments are everywhere, you just have to look.

DRESDEN FILES by Jim Butcher
I randomly picked up one of Jim Butchers books in the library book sale as the blurb jumped out at me, little did I know that the book was "Dead Beat" the seventh book in the Harry Dresden series. And I was hooked. I needed to get book one and start from the beginning. Harry is one of the best Paranormal Detective and he's also a Wizard. The Police pretty much bring him in to consult on black magic dealings and murders and all the fun starts. I highly recommend this series and I even recommend the very short lived TV show adaptation of this.

WITCHES OF EAST END by Melissa De La Cruz
Oh my goddess. When I first found out a new TV show about witches that could fill my empty Charmed hole. I was all over it. The TV show lasted two seasons and ended on a horrible cliffhanger. I will never forgive them for not renewing it at Netflix. Before Season two came to be on our screens, I went out and found the book it was adapted from. I could see the similarities and plots they took from it and I really enjoyed reading it even if the books are a tad hard to get. WOEE follows the Beauchamp women - Joanna and her daughters Freya (a name I adore) and Ingrid. They are three powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect the dead and heal the most serious of injuries, Ingrid had the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity and Freya, has a charm or a potion to cure most of any heartache. 
Freya is about to get married to a mysterious bloke called Bran and her romantic life becomes very complicated when it involves Bran's brother, Killian. Cue magical secrets unfolding and evil forces at play. I love the back stories of the Beauchamp women and I wish they had been able to go forward with another season on TV.

THE PAPER MAGICIAN by Charlie N Holmberg
I read this on a whim one day while looking for e-books to read on my phone. I instantly fell in love with this world of magic. Our protagonist, Ceony arrives at the cottage of magician Emery Thane with a broken heart, having graduated at the top of her class she is assigned an apprenticeship in paper magic despite wanting to do a different area of magic. Once she's bonded with paper it will be her only magic forever. And I ship Emery and Ceony. She learns various spells on how to animate paper creatures and bringing stories to life etc but she also learns of the dangers of magic when she comes across an excisioner, a practitioner of dark flesh magic who wanders into this cottage and rips Thanes heart out and Ceony has to go on a mission to get his beating heart back. There are three more books following The Glass Magician, The Master Magician and The Plastic Magician and I plan to read them all and so should you.

THE SECRET CIRCLE by L.J. Smith
This series is another that I read the first book before there was a TV adaptation and then afterwards when I watched the short lived series (which was great dammit) TSC follows Cassie who leaves her hometown to move to New England to live with her grandmother, at first she has a rough start but finds acceptance with a group who are a coven of witches. I love L J Smith's Vampire Diaries and this series is no exception. It's a lovely YA series for people that are into their supernatural etc.

HARRY POTTER by J.K Rowling
How could I make this list and not include good ole Arry Potta. I first read Harry Potter during school, it was our reading book in English. You know where in Primary School you'd take turns in reading pages with a group. Yep Harry was ours. And I remember not really getting into it while reading it this way. I preferred reading about Harry in the comfort of my own home and that's when I started to enjoy the series. In fact I kept my copy from school. Basically if ya don't know what Harry Potter is about, what have you been doing with your life? Harry lives a miserable life, parents are dead and he lives under the stairs at his aunt house. One day he receives a letter which reveals the truth about himself, a mysterious giant visitor rescues him from his Aunt and Uncle. YER A WIZARD ARRY. This mysterious giant figure is Hagrid and he takes Harry to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where he meets Hermione and Ron. We find out he is the boy who lived, the only person to have survived a killing curse inflicted by Lord Voldemort. And for the next few books we journey through the wizarding world meeting a bunch of beloved characters along the way.


Let me know of any witchcraft themed books for me to have a read!




No comments :

Post a Comment