7 COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT WICCA

Thursday 17 October 2019


Ever since I can remember I've always been drawn to the world of Wicca and Witchcraft. I guess it doesn't help that I was a fan of Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Sabrina the Teenage Witch among other films and tv depicting witches but for years I've never fully embraced Wicca because these words get questionable looks and glances whenever someone mentions them and I don't want people to shy away from me. People get spooked and don't want to take the time to learn the truth.  Plus it's quite an expensive religion (crystals, athemes and spell books all add up) and I don't wanna meddle in things without knowing what I'm doing, I'm not an experienced wiccan. I've only ever researched but I kinda wanna bring you on a journey with me. 


I want to tell you a few misconceptions of Wicca. People get spooked and don't want to take the time to learn the truth so here I am writing this post so you can understand and learn on this journey with me.  Any wiccans reading please let me know if I've gotten anything wrong or missed anything out. I'm still learning myself.



Despite hollywood's rather stupid interpretations of witchcraft and wicca in general, many people believe that even with the mention of the word Witch, we can flick our finger and suddenly change our clothes or clean a house. This is not the case. Although a couple of hollywood movies have taken wiccan research and added it to their fantasy versions (I'm looking at you Practical Magic / The Craft , did you know Fairuza Balk who plays Nancy is actually a wiccan?!)  The practise of wicca and witchcraft is rather a peaceful way of living. Being one with nature and self love. Although we'd love to be able to move objects with our minds and light candles with a breath, that simple does not happen. Magick does exist inside our selves and through nature and the universe. 

Wicca and Witchcraft are not exactly same, although both share common traits. Anyone can be a wiccan or a witch. Even men. (Don't call them warlocks. It can be offensive) but not all Witches are wiccans and not all wiccans are witches. if this makes sense. 

Witches Worship The Devil!
Wiccans or practitioners of Witchcraft are not Satan Worshippers. In fact Satanism isn't even about worshipping the devil. Its about respecting yourself and being confident in who you are. Non of us go around sacrificing virgins or spilling goats blood in rituals. Nope. That's all hollywood. If people took the time to research or even ask, then they would know this but people see the word Satan and assume everything is bad. Satan is a Christian belief and has nothing to do with Wicca either.


Wicca isn't a Real Religion!
Actually, you'll find that it is. And has been since the 1950's. You can even be prosecuted in the United States for discrimination against Wiccans. Nor is it a cult.

Pentagrams are Evil and Summon Demons.
Nope. Nope and Nope. Neither the pentagram or the inverted pentagram are evil. And non summon demons. Hate to burst your bubble. The points in a pentagram represent the elements, air, fire, earth, water and the spirit. 


Wiccans Sacrifice Animals.
Again. No. We don't go around killing cute animals for rituals. Wiccans practise the philosophy of "harm non". We don't slaughter or sacrifice to any creatures to any deities or gods. (Aside from spiders... I'm still learning! I hate those creepy crawlies) And we don't eat children either. Many witches are vegetarians too! 

Witches curse people!
Actually we hate curses. plz stahp. Wiccans are helpful and do cast spells and craft potions. Everything from healing potions to wisdom spells. But we don't go around pointing our fingers and cursing people hoping they get chickenpox. We are more likely to make you a herbal remedy. :)


Witches dance naked & have sex orgys.
Most witches will practise in their homes, fully clothed. Witches can practise naked under the full moon or during various spells but thats a preference. And no. Wiccans don't have big sex orgys in the middle of forests. Don't go joining covens looking for some bare naked ladies to get laid with. 


Witches can see the future.
Nah fam. We can guide you using Tarot Cards, Tea Leaves and other Divination tools but we can't see your future. I personally love using Tarot Cards for guidance.

I hope some of these help you understand a little bit more about the religion. See witches aren't so scary. I have read a fair few books and own a few tarot decks. But I don't know everything there is to know. I'm still teaching myself to memorize my tarot card meanings. I'd love to continue this journey into the world of wicca. Please let me what posts you would like to see from me! 





No comments :

Post a Comment