OTHERWORLD - BOOK REVIEW

Wednesday 4 September 2019


Did you know Jason Segal co-wrote a book? That How I Met Your Mother star wrote a book with Kristen Miller and there is a sequel which I hope to get my hands on soon!

Otherworld is a fully immersive game where the players give over their physical bodies and reality. Simon (our main protagonist) has been chosen as one of the lucky few to test out a new update of the MMO where people can do whatever they choose and become whoever they want. Whether that's turning yourself into a cannibal or having a day at a jungle spa. Otherworld has is all. Except Simon's reason for playing is to find Kat, his best friend who he hasn't spoken to for a while.When Kat is hurt in a serious accident, she is given a new prototype of Otherworld by The Company. One without a headset but uses an electronic patch attached to the back of the wearers neck. But something is seriously wrong in Kat's VR and Simon is determined to find out what and why The Company is so seedy.

It took me more than a few chapters to get into this book but when I did I couldn't put it down. I find the main character a bit of a dick, obnoxious and unlikable on first impressions. He continues throughout the book like this and I'm all for reading about a character who is disliked but ends up being enjoyable, I usually find myself loving the character, but all the way through the book he is an absolute tit. He literally threatens to distribute nude photos of two girls at the beginning of the book if they continue to call his friend a slut which is vile. Even his quest to save his best friend Kat was a tad obsessive at times.

I love sci-fi books and a big comparison to this was Tad Williams Otherland which is also set in virtual reality (I have yet to read this) and Ready Player One which is an amazing book and probably one of my all time favourites. I love that VR is something that is accessible now and this is based in the not to distant future, although Otherworld is far more advanced then where we are right now it's still intriguing to want to be able to interact, smell, touch and taste your virtual surroundings. I hope one day technology will get to that stage in my life time but from what these books have taught us is that it's hard to want to leave your virtual second life.

I give this book a rating of 4/5

What are your thoughts on the future of VR?

Lets be GoodReads friends?!


No comments :

Post a Comment