YOU'RE NEVER WEIRD ON THE INTERNET

Tuesday 31 May 2016


I want Felicia Day to be my new best friend. That's what was in my mind the entire time I read this memoir. I don't think I even stopped. I read the whole thing as soon as it landed on my doorstep. I had been waiting for a while to grab this book. I've been utterly obsessed with Felicia since I watched her on Supernatural (completely forgetting she was in Buffy). A few weeks ago I even binged watched her web series The Guild and had to buy her memoir... this is my review and the occasional fangirling.




You're never weird on the internet (almost) is fun, witty, honest and emotional memoir about growing up, internet "fame" and being a nerd.
If you don't know who Felicia Day is then let me tell you a cliffnotes of her IMDB. Felicia is well known for her roles in Buffy The Vampire Slayer as Vi, Supernatural as Charlie (she is bascially playing herself as a lesbian, I'm okay with that and she's met Jensen Ackles.. I'm not jealous of her one bit, nope..), The Guild as Codex, Dr Horribles' Sing-Along Blog and has voice acted in several games including Guild Wars and Dragon Age. She started the company and youtube channel Geek & Sundry and posts videos there regularly. She has also written several books including this one. :D

I rarely read autobiographies/memoirs but this one stuck to me like feathers on glue. Felicia writes about her home schooled childhood and how she never had any friends until later on in her life (something I relate to however I wasn't home schooled) and how she discovered what the internet was and how she used it to gain online friends through gaming. The book is also filled with gaming references and 90's throwback photographs. Felicia is also a violinist and was an honor student in college. She worked her butt off to get where she is today. She talks about her anxiety and her struggles with depression over the years during her time writing and starring in her web series The Guild. This chapter in her life made me want to hug her and be there for her. It made me anxious reading about her anxiety.

One of the chapters deals with the online community and how it deals with the topic of "gamer girls" and what happened with Felicia during the "GamerGate" of 2014. Horrible events happened to Felicia which made me horrified at the gaming community. I knew about gamer gate but I never really saw anything but the bullying of Anita Sarkeesian. It''s rather scary to see what cyber attacks can do and how they affect. not just you but other people.

Overall, Felicia is a big inspiration to me, she showed the world that you can embrace your weirdness. Her book is well written and made me laugh so much. I can't say that I love an MMO the way she loved World of Warcraft but I do love gaming and I love Felicia Day for writing this book and making me feel like her best friend. I gave this book 5 Stars <3



Do you have a favourite Memoir?

Peace out Bitches!




Follow me! | Good Reads | Twitter

Wanna Read Felicia's Book? Go Grab A Copy:
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)

1 comment :

  1. I love Felicia Day and Charlie. I'd read her memoir just for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete